Tractor trailers are a necessary part of our society. Although they are needed, it can be dangerous to be on the road with them. Tractor trailers are large and can weigh up to 80,000 pounds when loaded. As a result, when an accident occurs with a tractor trailer, it often results in serious injuries or fatalities. If you are hurt in a tractor trailer accident you may be entitled to substantial compensation for your injuries and damages.
Negligence in Tractor Trailer Accidents
There are many forms of negligence. Generally, negligence occurs when a driver does something or fails to do something. Ultimately, there are several reasons for tractor trailer crashes. Some examples of negligence in tractor trailer accidents include, but are not limited to:
- Distracted driver
- Overworked driver
- Fatigued driver
- Driver was DUI
- The driver was operating the tractor trailer with a suspended or revoked licenses
- Improperly trained driver
- Tractor and/or trailer are improperly maintenance
- Improperly loaded trailer
- Failure to keep required documentation
These are just some of the many negligent actions that could have caused or contributed to a tractor trailer accident.
Who is Responsible for Tractor Trailer Accidents?
Overall, people assume that the tractor trailer driver is responsible for a crash. However, the responsible party depends on the cause of the accident.
- Tractor Trailer Driver: The truck driver might be liable if he or she did something that was negligent.
- Truck Company: The trucking company must ensure that their vehicles are safe on the road. If they fail to provide proper maintenance or repairs, the owner could also be responsible.
- Truck Manufacturer or Component Manufacturer: The company that manufactured the tractor trailer might also be negligent. A product liability claim could be appropriate if a manufacturing defect ended up causing a crash.
Above all, the causes of tractor trailer accidents are not always immediately apparent. These types of cases are complex and complicated. Contact Attorney Jason P. Provinzano, 570-822-5771, to learn your rights and to protect your future.